Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Whimsical Wednesdays

This is a poem I wrote in grade nine, after my Opa passed away that summer. It was the same summer we moved to a new neighbourhood and my Dad started his own business.



Final Goodbye- by Suzanne den Boer

Kneeling at his pillow, full of dread
Gazing at him, yellowish face on the whiteness
Trembling hand on my arm
Tears blurring my vision
Weak voice in the empty room
"You also have gifts from the Lord,
Use them to in service to God
And for the betterment of society."
Stumbling over the words
"You said you were good at Bible
You could serve God in that area."
Fighting tears
Trembling lower lip
A kiss
"I know it will be hard for the grandchildren
It is for me to leave you behind.
But it is God's will."
Nodding miserably
"Again."
Bringing my lips to his
Aching throat
"Cry now."
Gentle words bringing hot tears to my cheeks
Needing to tell him of my love
Whispering, "I love you."
"One last time."
Another kiss
Leaving the room
I would do as he asked





This poem was also written in grade nine. It is not a true haiku, but uses the five senses to reflect upon the topic.



Fire- by Suzanne den Boer

leaping grasshoppers

a noisy hiker in the woods

scalding water

cigarettes

hot peppers

No comments: