Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Morning Mercies

Sometimes it is remarkable how much more clearly you can see things in the morning. Things that seemed oppressive during the night melt away like the mist at dawn. As believers we do not see the end from the beginning in any case. To us, it is like we are seeing our reflection off a shiny red sports car. We are distorted and we only see ourselves dimly in the presence of this beautiful car.

At times our possessions that we cling to, dim our awareness of our need for God. At other times it is worry choking out our growth. Or maybe in hardship, we simply fall away, due to the pain of the moment. When we do not allow all these things and all this pain to distract us, it is then that we bear much fruit. Jesus stated, "Apart from me you can do nothing."

If I really believed that, I won't go wandering off on some wild goose chase. I would stay in the place and with the people God originally called me. I would sink my roots in deep, remembering I can be transplanted later as God directs.

That is the key: As God directs. Let his will and not mine be done. Mary the mother of God once said to the angel Gabriel, "Let it be to me according to your Word." If only I could have such a moment of utter surrender to the purposes of God. Because he will bring it to pass, once he has spoken. I pray for that day to come soon.


No comments: