Thursday, October 15, 2015

His Girl

"Be of good courage... Take heart!" How many times does God say that in the Bible through his prophets or to his people? I have never counted them, but there seems to be multiple occasions God tells his children not to fear.

Fear is the opposite of faith. Perfect love drives out fear, so the person who fears has not been made perfect in love. I must admit my anxiety can cripple me, and I can sometimes give into fear and allow it mastery over myself.

The thing is though, I shouldn't be afraid, as the God of angel armies fights for me, Jesus Christ is interceding for me at God's right hand, and the Holy Spirit is with me to comfort and guide me at all times. So when I wake up from a nightmare and can't fall back asleep, or when I think about my future choices with a sense of dread, that's when I need to talk to God. He can take my honest concerns and he can also take away my fear, dread, and anxiety.

"Cast all your anxieties on him for him, for he cares for you." I need to heed those words of Peter, the great apostle. God hides me in the safety of his embrace, and he sets me high on a rock, as David once wrote. He is the Father who welcomes me home, and demonstrates that I am worth the fatted calf, as in the parable of the Lost Son. When I act like the elder son, and grieve his heart, he still envelopes me in his love. He lets me stray, as I have free choice, but he always invites me back into his presence. This Father knows how to celebrate and welcomes me as a daughter. I love being a part of his family!

No comments: