Wednesday, December 19, 2018

The Greatest Gift

What's the best gift you ever received?  What about the best gift you ever gave?

A number of gifts come to mind as I ponder those questions, but sometimes the gifts don't stick in your memory for long from Christmas to Christmas or birthday to birthday.

Giving gifts is one of my love languages, but more so I give words of affirmation and encouragement. My cards tend to be lengthy missives which delineate everything I love about the recipient or express my best wishes for their continued health and happiness.

The Bible says the greatest gift is love. Without it you're bankrupt; without it as a motive your best actions are without any value. It will remain long after the dust settles; it endures forever.

It is the new command that the apostle John gave, "Love one another." Love comes from God and every one who loves is born of God, and knows God.

I'm realizing I can do many good things, things that are kind and considerate, things that people can point out as beautiful or beneficial, but my motives for doing these things can be mixed at best. Also I can keep myself busy and stressed doing things I was never intended to do.

Listening to the Holy Spirit is key, as is soaking in the Heavenly Father's love, and keeping close to Jesus Christ, who is a friend and a brother.

How great is the love the Father has lavished upon us, that we should be called children of God and that is what we are!


No comments: