Friday, January 11, 2019

The Solid Rock

I have some go to devotional materials. I read "Jesus Calling," "Jesus Today", and "Jesus Lives" by Sarah Young. Lately I have been doing a devotional from She Reads Truth which arrives in my Inbox. I often read "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. Sometimes I read "The Language of Letting Go" by Melody Beattie. I often read a bit of "Be the Gift" by Ann Voskamp before I turn out the light. Also every morning I read aloud "Blessing Your Spirit" by Sylvia Gunter and Arthur Burk.

I have come to realize that I can read devotional materials all day, but if I am not putting any of it to practise it is pretty much useless. I might have great knowledge of the Bible, but where is my heart at? Am I like the person who looks in the mirror of God's perfect law and immediately forgets what she looks like?

I tend toward selfishness, and self-centredness. I don't always see others' needs and even when I do I don't always do anything about it. At times I am guilty of saying I will pray for someone, and then failing to do so, at least with much frequency. I am easily distracted from my prayers and prayerfulness is a hard virtue to practise.

Am I looking for an experience or am I looking to develop a relationship? I am grateful that despite my failings, Jesus is faithful and patient with me. He is pleased with the smallest of my baby steps. He speaks to me in a language my heart understands. He rescues me from situations I get myself entangled in and He carries me close to his heart. 

When I am anxious about something, He calms my fears just as He calmed the storm. He tells me to be still and speaks peace into the situation. He loves me as much on my worst day as on my best day, and He tells me I am worth his sacrifice. While I am my own harshest critic, He is my greatest encourager, allowing me to be convicted about my sins, but not condemned. He's my Rock and my Deliverer.

No comments: