Friday, June 23, 2006

And ten years later...

Today I passed my G2 exit test on my first try! Yes, I am twenty-five years old and I just got my full license. It has been almost a decade since I got my beginners driving permit. I went through a couple of quite lengthy periods when I wasn't driving at all, and I waited until my time was almost up to take my G1 exit test. That was about five years ago. My parents were in Korea and my brother drove me to my test, but we couldn't find the examination center and almost didn't make it on time. He couldn't understand how I could go in the wrong door, then get in the wrong line, then not remember the licence number or even the correct colour of the car. I got emotional and was crying before my test and told my driver examinator that my parents were away and my brother was being mean and that I would lose my license if I didn't pass the test. I passed, but I think the crying helped because my brother said I didn't come to a complete stop at the first stop sign and the driver examinator never marked that down. I had paid to renew my license and was given another five years to do my G2 exit test, and I always knew I should do it, but I didn't schedule it until about three months ago. This time was a lot less emotional and I drove myself there in my own car. I don't know why I waited so long to do it. It really wasn't that difficult. But I have become a more confident driver since I have been driving to work every day on the highway. I made a couple of mistakes, but I didn't even have to parallel park or do a three point turn. That is what I have been practicing this week. I got so I could do the parallel park most of the time, but not all of the time. Three-point turns I have no trouble with. Last night a neighbour decided to give me a few pointers for my parallel park, having seen some of my attempts this week, and he made me practice a couple of times with him giving directions. The first time worked okay, although he had me awful close to the one car, but the second time he was saying left when he meant right and it was a spectacular failure. Then I could finally go in the house after I tried it on my own (successfully) another time. When I took my test there was no one behind me on the highway, so merging and changing lanes was very easy. I don't think it was just chance.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

a ha, you didnt know the colour of our car?!

Suzanne said...

I told them the colour of the car we used to have. I was nervous, okay? And flustered because I didn't know the licence plate.

Rachel said...

that's an almost Brobdingnagian excuse for such a petty accusation. well, i'm willing to be understanding, if only because the G2 test took place in your salad days of naivete and ingenuousness--that languorous time when the family dubbed you with the sobriquet "Ditzy Blonde."

Suzanne said...

My salad days when I was dubbed by the family "Ditzy Blonde"? What are you trying to do, rewrite our family history? I suspect you are merely attempting to use as many Dictionary.com Words of the Day as possible in a coherent form, and that you remember very well I have always been considered one of the more brilliant members of the family.